1. Preheat oven.
2. Mix cake batter according to the directions on the box. Or you can use a homemade cake recipe.
3. Once cake batter is mixed, separate it into four cake pans.
4. Add food coloring to each pan. Remember, you want each pan to be a shade lighter than the one before.
Example: Pan #1 More red than yellow
Pan #2 Equal parts both colors
Pan #3 More yellow than red
Pan #4 Just yellow
5. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until done.
6. After you take the pans out of the oven, set them somewhere to cool off.
7. Start with the yellow cake first so that its on the bottom. Put a thin layer of frosting on it. Do the same for the rest of the layers so that the top layer is the darkest shade.
8. Frost the outside of the cake and add sprinkles if you want!